Squirrel treats to make with your children
We all know that Hazel loves eating Acorn buns and her Daddy's famous Walnut pancakes and we highly recommend full tummies before heading outside to play! We have found some Easter themed recipes to help occupy your little squirrels during the school holidays. Just choose you favourite and get baking! Don’t forget to share your photos with us @squirrels.tail
Easy Peasy Easter Bird’s Nests
These easy chocolate nests are the perfect Easter treat to make with children. They're simple enough for kids to get involved and they need just three ingredients
200g milk chocolate , broken into pieces
85g shredded wheat , crushed
2 x 100g bags mini chocolate eggs
- Melt the chocolate in a small bowl placed over a pan of barely simmering water. Feel Free to mix in dark chocolate if you prefer. Pour the chocolate over the shredded wheat and stir well.
- Spoon the chocolate wheat into 12 cupcake cases and press the back of a teaspoon in the centre to create a nest shape.
- Place 3 mini chocolate eggs on top of each nest.
- Chill the nests in the fridge for 2 hrs until set.
You can add coconut flakes or crushed nuts to the shredded wheat for added crush and flavour.
Chocolate and Hazelnut Crepes - A Squirrels' favourite treat!
Hazel loves walnut pancakes, but I know she would adore this recipe too!
175g plain flour
3 large eggs
sunflower oil , for frying
1 Jar of Chocolate Hazelnut spread
1 can of squirty cream
- Add the flour, eggs and half the milk into a large bowl. Whisk until you have a smooth, thick batter. Add the rest of the milk and whisk again, make sure there’s no lumps! Set aside for approximately 30 minutes.
- Add a drizzle of oil to a large pan (ideally non stick!) When the pan is hot enough, add a small amount of batter, just enough to cover the surface – the thinner the better! Give the pan a shake to find out when it’s ready to turn over, it should easily move and be light brown on the underside.
- FLIP your pancake – see how high you can go but don’t reach the ceiling or you might not get to taste it!!
- Add a generous amount of chocolate spread to one side of your crepe and roll!
- For anyone with an extra sweet tooth, add a nice big helping of squirty cream to finish off.
The Great Forest porridge (with berries and nuts)
A bright pink breakfast bursting with berry goodness!
Oatmeal or Porridge Oats
Handful of blueberries
Walnuts or other nuts (if appropriate)
A squeeze of honey
1.Make your oatmeal or porridge oats just as your littlesquirrel likes it.
2.Thinly slice your strawberries and roughly chop nuts
3. Add your fruit and berries to the bowl along with any additional items eg: walnuts or pecan nuts!
4. add a squeeze of honey (or skip this in the summer, when berries are ripe and sweet)
5. If you want to be creative you can make a squirrel face with your fruit and nuts 😊
To find out more about what yummy treats Hazel the squirrel likes to eat most of all, check out The Squirrel’s Tail right here
Can you make a squirrel face with your porridge?! We’d love to see your designs! Share your photos with us @squirrels.tail
For more ideas on how to keep children busy during the holidays, check out this blog article with 10 screen-free indoor play ideas.